Personal information we collect
We collect various categories of Personal Information in connection with the Services. If you submit an inquiry or question via an online form or email to our website, we collect your name, email address, or other Personal Information contained in your correspondence, including information shared in your business directory listing. If you receive or participate in our directory listing services, we collect your name, title, professional and personal contact information, demographic data, results of any survey, or questionnaire you complete, memberships, community involvement, details of your business, language skills, features offered to your customers, and Special Offers made to member shoppers. If you are a customer or potential customer, we collect your name, contact email address, or other information that you provide including via online forms or email correspondence. Unless required or authorized by law, we do not process sensitive Personal Information about you, unless you have affirmatively consented to this processing.
Indirect data collection and cookies
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: Cookies that are necessary in order to operate our website, such as maintain the security of the website. These are session Cookies that are erased when you close your browser.
- Analytical/Performance Cookies: Cookies that allow us to recognize and count the number of people who visit our website and understand how such visitors navigate through our website. This helps to improve how our website works, by ensuring that visitors can easily find what they are looking for on our website. These Cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
- Functional Cookies: Cookies that improve the functional performance of our website and make it easier for you to use, including that you have previously visited our website in order to maintain your language preferences. These Cookies qualify as persistent Cookies, because they remain on your device, so we can provide the same experience during your next visit to our website.
- Targeting Cookies: Cookies placed by trusted partners which we use to understand how visitors interact with our website and other third- party websites you visit, including the pages you have visited and the links you have followed, in order to show you advertisements based on your interests (also known as interest-based advertising). These Cookies qualify as persistent Cookies, because they remain on your device for us to use during a next visit to our website.
Cookie choices You can review your Internet browser settings, typically under “Help” or “Internet Options” for options you have in order to block certain Cookies. To learn more about Cookies and to exercise certain choices you have regarding these Cookies, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance, or the Network Advertising Initiative. Please also visit the following specific links for additional information and choices on certain Cookies:
- Google Analytics – to analyze how you use our website
Please note that by opting out of certain cookies, you will not be able to access important functions or enjoy certain conveniences of this website.
How we use personal information
We may use Personal Information to respond to your inquiries and answer your questions about our Services. We may use your Personal Information in order provide and improve the Services, such as the business listing in our directory or participation in our member shopper program. We also may use Personal Information for the purposes of securing our website and IT systems and other business administration purposes, including as necessary to meet our legal and compliance obligations or in connection with regulatory inquiries, audits, legal claims, subpoenas, warrants, or other government/judicial processes or requests. Some jurisdictions require that we explain the legal bases we rely on to collect, use, and share your Personal Information. We rely on several different legal bases to use your Personal Information, including: (i) as necessary to perform a transaction (in order to respond to your request, such as for information about a specific Service); (ii) as necessary to comply with a legal obligation (such as when we use Personal Information for record keeping to substantiate tax liability); (iii) consent (such as to send marketing or certain cookies, and process sensitive Personal Information); and (iv) necessary for legitimate interests (such as providing, maintaining, securing, customizing, and improving the Services we provide to you). We also process information about you in an anonymized and non-attributable form for research and development purposes. The specific legal bases depend upon the Personal Information at issue and the context under which the information is collected. If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal bases, we rely upon to process your Personal Information, please contact us as detailed below.
Disclosure of personal information
Security of personal information
Shop Local Shop Small maintains reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. To the extent that we disclose Personal Information to third-party service providers, we require that such third-parties also maintain reasonable security and confidentiality measures and use the Personal Information in accordance with our instructions and applicable law.
Cross border transfers
Your Personal Information may be stored and/or processed in countries that do not provide the same level of protection for Personal Information as the data protection laws of the United States. We take appropriate steps, where required, to provide appropriate safeguards for Personal Information to be transferred, including, among others and as applicable, standard data protection clauses adopted or approved by the Foreign Country together with binding and enforceable commitments. Where required by law, you can request a copy of such safeguards by contacting us as detailed below.
Access to personal information – Data subject rights
Shop Local Shop Small wishes to maintain Personal Information that is accurate, current, and complete. If Personal Information that you previously provided has changed, please submit your new information us. To opt out of marketing communications from us, please follow the instructions detailed in our communications to you. Where required by applicable law, you have the right to obtain confirmation that we maintain certain Personal Information about you, to access the Personal Information we have about you, and to correct, port, delete, block or withdraw consent to the processing of certain Personal Information (without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal), by contacting us as detailed below. In particular, you have the right to object to our use of your Personal Information, such as receiving executive or board openings. Please contact us below to exercise such rights. Please note that we need to retain certain Personal Information as required or permitted by applicable law.
Links to other internet sites